Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Day 19 Supporting Others


When I applied to the seminary I had to take a psychological test. Around that same time I became fascinated with Greek Mythology specifically with the figure of Atlas. I remember thinking, "Wouldn't it be cool if you had a pillar of the titan Atlas holding up a book; similar to a type of podium. I wanted to design that image and I ended using that design in a gift for my mother. She loved it.

So what's the connection? One of the sections of the psychological examination was to draw a picture of a man. I drew what I knew and that was Atlas. The psychologist came back to me with the results and said, "Do you have any idea how narcissistic that image was that you drew?" Needless to say I needed to work on that. I have tried to work on that by focusing on other people and where they are at in their life. Listening to other people, being with them when they laugh or suffer, being able to be vulnerable with them so they can be honest for a brief moment in their life, and ultimately just trying to be there for another human being has helped both of us tremendously.

One of the blessings from this lifestyle change I committed to over the past couple of years is that I have developed a love for supporting other people. I really enjoy that, especially when a person is sincere in their growth. I think if I had to redraw that image today it would look like the one above. It would be me trying to help someone else carry their burden that feels as heavy as the whole world.

No comments:

Post a Comment